One Art

The art of losing isn’t hard to master;
so many things seem filled with the intent
to be lost that their loss is no disaster.
Lose something every day. Accept the fluster of lost door keys,
the hour badly spent.
The art of losing isn’t hard to master.
Then practice losing farther,
losing faster: places, and names, and where it was you meant to travel.
None of these will bring disaster.
I lost my mother’s watch.
And look! my last, or next-to-last, of three loved houses went.
The art of losing isn’t hard to master.
I lost two cities, lovely ones.
And, vaster, some realms I owned, two rivers, a continent.
I miss them, but it wasn’t a disaster.
Even losing you (the joking voice, a gesture I love) I shan’t have lied.
It’s evident the art of losing’s not too hard to master
though it may look like disaster.
(Elizabeth Bishop)
g g g

8 comments:

  1. Alas we came to this world with nothing;

    And it is in this very same way that we all leave.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karen,
    Truthful words:
    we came to this world with nothing;...'
    this very same way that we all leave..
    Thanks for sharing your insights.
    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this Surjit. thank you for sharing.

    Sometimes when God takes away something from you, He is just emptying your hands so you can receive something better.

    God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes Sophiagurl,I fully agree with your insights:
    ...'Sometimes when God takes away something from you, He is just emptying your hands so you can receive something better...'
    Thanks for sharing.
    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. very well written!
    Besides the post I so liked, the words from Sri Guru Granth Sahib, "Blessed are those, Who obey Thy Will"

    Nice blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome and thanks Sach, for your words of appreciation.God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like this post. I think we will never find fulfillment and happiness until we learn how to let go. There are some things in my life that have gone through what I call the "dead apple phase" - these are things that needed to be tossed to the ground, left for dead, given over to G-d, and that eventually whither away to be replanted before they will bear fruit.
    I really liked this post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Kate,
    I admire your views:
    ..'There are some things in my life that have gone through what I call the "dead apple phase" - these are things that needed to be tossed to the ground, left for dead...'
    Thanks for sharing your valuable insights.
    God bless.

    ReplyDelete