Feng Shui The Wardrobe



Most people wear about 20 percent of their wardrobe 80 percent of the time. Just do this test for a month: each time you wear something and launder it, hang it at one end of your wardrobe. At the end of the month you will find (unless you have deliberately changed your habits to beat this exercise or have a job that requires you to vary your outfits often) you are wearing these same clothes most of the time.

So when it comes to clearing out your wardrobe, first separate your clothes honestly into the 20 percent you love to wear and the 80 percent that are just taking up space, and it becomes much easier to dump the excess. When sorting through your 80 percent pile, it is wise to get clear on your criteria for whether something stays or goes.

Check out the colors.
A great investment is to have a professional color consultation to discover which colors uplift and enhance your energy, and which colors do the opposite. You will walk away with a swatch of color samples that are sure to make you look and feel great, and this does wonders for your self-assurance. This helps you to sift through at least 50 percent of your clothes and discard them forever, because it suddenly becomes abundantly obvious to you that they never did anything for you in the first place.

Next, try on each item in the remaining pile and see how you feel. If you don't like the shape, the texture, the cut, the material, or anything else about it, let it go. You owe it to yourself to create a collection of outfits you absolutely love, so that never again do you open a wardrobe bulging with clothes and moan, "But I've got nothing to wear!"

Make a decision to never, ever buy anything again that isn't quite what you want, because now you know it will just end up in the 80 percent pile and you will have wasted your money. Resolve to buy only clothes that you love and that look great on you.
Some people keep things they haven't worn in over twenty years. They say that if they hang on to them long enough they will come back into fashion. My suggestion is:

if you haven't worn it in the last year, and especially if you haven't worn it in the last two or three years, then let it go.

What do you think?

llllllllll
Source:scentalworldduke.blogspot.com

24 comments:

  1. This is great advice! Another way I have heard of doing this is to hang all the hanagers backwards from how you normally hang them. When you wear something, hang it back up with the hanger the frontwards. At the end of 2-3 months, see how many hangers are frontwards and how many are backwards. that also gives a big visual cue about how much you wear clothes. I have a new rule when clothes shopping: if I'm not absolutely in love with it, I don't buy it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. GREAT post, Surjit!!! ;-D

    Funny thing is that in this 4-seasoned country, I find that I need more varieties of clothing than when I was in Indo (naturally). I left most of my clothes back in Indo as I thought I could never wear most of them in Finland (also 'coz I could only bring 26 kgs of my life in my baggage). So right now I'm actually waiting for winter to come before I start buying clothes as I have to find out what kind of winter clothes I need or if I need more winter clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Rebecca, this is what is required. I like your principle:
    '...if I'm not absolutely in love with it, I don't buy it!..
    Thanks for sharing your views.My best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are right Amel's Realm.As you say, in a country of four seasons,one needs variety of clothing. But one can avoid collecting them in case there is no need.
    Thanks for sharing your personal experiences.
    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing insight and one that is soooo right! hmmm.... are we doomed to obey the 80/20 rule in practically every aspect of our lives?

    ReplyDelete
  6. hello Surjit...I used to buy loads of lovely and fashionable clothing when I was younger...but always found myself giving them away and saying' I've not a thing to wear' ...now as I mature, I find I am being more realistic,buying very seldom and really taking ages to decide.I have some things that I never wear.Its no problem, for me now at this point in my life, clothing does not have that old appeal. I wear the same items all the time, things that are comfortable.I just remembered when I read your post that I must pass some of these items on, its time for them to move.Thanks for the post :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know I did this very thing about 3 or 4 months ago. and, I am ashamed to admit that I filled five very large bags with clothes(some still had the price tags on them.)Now that is absolutely ridiculous. So I donated them all to our local Salvation Army. Great post surjit...and yes I too wonder about the 80/20 in other aspects of our lives as well.~Blessings~Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very very true! Nowadays many of us buy a lot of unnecessary things. Besides, the wardrobe is full of clothing, shoe shelves full of shoes, different kinds of handbags, many watches, etc.

    We ought to learn to buy only the necessary. Thanks for this great advice, Surjit.

    Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Cool Insider, for sharing your views. I like your idea:
    '..... are we doomed to obey the 80/20 rule in practically every aspect of our lives?...'
    My best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am glad Jesse, you have liked my post.I fully agree with your views.
    Thanks and good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Shinade,your are right.80/20 factor works in our lives. Thanks for sharing your personal experiences.
    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Sam Chan, for adding your meaningful views to my post.
    My best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm surfing on u blog,look great,
    well,thinks for you info
    idea for money,Find

    More....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Alex, for your nice words.
    I like your blog too.
    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ahhh surjit, this post came at a perfect time.

    TODAY, I was planning on sorting through my closet and getting rid of unworn clothing.

    I certainly fall into the catagory of wearing only 20% of my clothes.. or maybe 10% (smile).

    Thank you for this very useful post!

    Blessings to you,

    jen

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Jennifer, for your nice words about my post.I am glad you have liked it.
    My best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey,thanks for your precious comments that time. I think that your advice is pragmatic and it works! However,i have too little dress sense :-)

    Anyway,wish you all the best, tell me when you update and I agree with you on the 'five thieves'.You are good at this posts that centres around philosophy, thank you Surjit.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks Mr Fong, for sharing your views and nice words about my blog.
    I really value your particpation.
    My best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Surjit!

    Thanks for the advice. Hmm.. Makes me wonder what are the redundancies in my wardrobe. I shall spend some time clearing today!

    By the way, thanks for putting up the Say No Evil Camp logo!

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks Waterlearner,for sharing your personal experiences.
    My best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Excellent advice, I find myself donating more & more of my clothing items, especially since we recently relocated. It forced me to either pack or pitch!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks Lynne, for visiting my page and sharing your thoughts.
    My best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yes, you're right. It's easy to let go the 80 % but there's one that I keep in the name of memories. By looking into it, I can connect the old days to present.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh! that is a lovely thought:
    '...but there's one that I keep in the name of memories...'
    Thanks tere616,for sharing your valuable views.
    My best wishes.

    ReplyDelete