Rabia

"Rabia al Basri, a most respected woman Islamic saint, lived in Basra in Iraq, in the second half of the 8th century AD. She was born into poverty.

After her father's death,there was a faminine in Basra, and during that she was parted from her family. She was taken by the robbers and sold into slavery.

Her master worked her very hard, but at night after finishing her chores Rabia would turn to meditation and prayers and praising the Lord.

Foregoing rest and sleep she spent her nights in prayers and she often fasted during the day.

Many of her prayers/poems have come down to us: I wish to share two of them,which I like most.

If I Adore You....
If I adore you out of fear of Hell,
Burn me in Hell;
If I adore you out of desire for Paradise,
Lock me out of Paradise.
But if I adore you for Yourself alone,
Do not deny to me Your eternal beauty.

lllll
Reality..
In love, nothing exists between heart and heart.
Speech is born out of longing,
True description from the real taste.
The one who tastes, knows;
the one who explains, lies.
How can you describe the true form of Something..
In whose presence you are blotted out?
And in whose being you still exist?
And who lives as a sign for your journey?

- Rabia
llllllllll
Source: Internet

13 comments:

  1. As always, it feels good to come here and read.
    Blessings to you this Thursday, Surjit !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Loving Annie, for your nice words and good wishes.Your participation always inspire me.
    God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the part that says:
    "The one who tastes, knows;
    the one who explains, lies."

    Well, nobody really knows what is pain and agony till the person had gone through it personally.

    Thanks Surjit for this nice poem.

    Have a nice day, Surjit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a lovely poem..thx for the impressive post

    Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Surjit!

    **********************************
    If I Adore You....
    If I adore you out of fear of Hell,
    Burn me in Hell;
    If I adore you out of desire for Paradise,
    Lock me out of Paradise.
    But if I adore you for Yourself alone,
    Do not deny to me Your eternal beauty.
    ***********************************

    It is easy to talk about Spirituality at good times when we are not suffering or hungry. But it takes inner strength and light to be able to appreciate Spirituality asking for nothing in return.

    Your post enlightens my dumb mind once again, Surjit!

    Blessings,

    WaterLearner

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sam, I fully agree with your truthful words:
    ...nobody really knows what is pain and agony till the person had gone through it personally....
    Thanks for adding your thoughtful views to my post.Have a nice week end.Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am glad Anits, that you have liked my post.Thanks for your nice and motivating words.Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Riv, you are an enightened girl.Thanks for your nice and inspiring words.
    Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Surjit,

    Very lovely!

    The thought comes to my heart that religions were designed as a way to release the desire for heaven and reward, and the fear of hell... but move us to a sense of peace and holiness that comes from release and unselfishness.

    Thank you very much for this!

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very true, Jennifer. I fully agree with your thoughts:
    ....'that religions were designed as a way to release the desire for heaven and reward....'
    Thanks for adding your insightful views.Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A beautiful and meaningful post surjit as always. As Rabia is gradually deprived of external freedom, she discovered deep within a joy and inner freedom that no one could take away from her. She fell in love with God. she found Him in her inner sanctum.God's presence in her soul. Happiness cannot exist without love, nor love without freedom. She was created for love and to love. What a wonderful feeling it must have been. I envy her. God bless you my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Norie, for adding Words of wisdom to my post:
    '....As Rabia is gradually deprived of external freedom, she discovered deep within a joy and inner freedom that no one could take away from her...'
    Your thoughts always inspire me.I am greatful to you for your valuable contribution.
    My best wishes.

    ReplyDelete